Monday, July 19, 2010

Hockey pucks and all!

It's been a day.

A LONG, hard, emotional day.

(at some point I am going to have to do a "life in the day of.." kinda post so you know what I am talking about when I say this! But for now...)

On days like this I usually am on my knees BEGGING for something to be easy!

And tonight I got that easy in a small dose!

I came home from work and drug myself into the kitchen. I knew I had to cook dinner, even though it's Monday and I usually don't cook on Mondays (the kids are usually with their father for dinner, but his visits are suspended right now.) Tonight I had to cook. I grabbed some pork out of the fridge to BBQ, the mac & cheese that my daughter convinced her papa to buy her (thinking it would make her happy to have it) and was grabbing some veggies when the Little Princess wandered in.

LP: "Is THAT dinner?"
me: "Yes, as soon as I get it cooked."
LP: "NO WAY. That will be YUCKA!"
me: "But that is the mac & cheese you wanted. Won't that be good for dinner?"
LP: "No way!"

And she proceeds to rummage through the cabinets.

LP: "Here mom. I want Hockey Pucks. With sliced apples."
Hockey Pucks with sliced apples (and other fruit) it is.

A 5 minute start to finish dinner that cost less that $3.00 TOTAL and only used 7 dishes total...

Yup! I would call that easy!
And for those of you who didn't grow up with me....

Hockey Pucks
English Muffins, split in half
1 Can tuna fish, drained
a couple Tablespoons of Mayo
Salt, Pepper & Dill to taste
a slice of cheese for each hockey puck

Warm up broiler
Split the English Muffins and place cut side up on a broiler sheet
Mix tuna, mayo, salt, pepper and dill in a bowl. Spoon over muffins. Top with cheese.

Broil until warm and cheese is nicely melted.

And why are they called Hockey Pucks you ask?
Well, growing up my mother would always forget that she stuck them in to broil and only remember when she could SMELL them....
and by that time they closely resembled Hockey Pucks... small, round and black! So my brothers and I took to calling these open faced tuna melts "Hockey Pucks"
Tonight this simple meal made for one happy Little Princess!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute idea for a quick meal. Im not a seafood eater, to include tuna fish, but I think the boys like it. Might have to try it with them. I am like you too on some days. Just not in the mood to cook a whole lot but I know its my job to do it so I do. Nice change to be able to satisfy with a quicker easier meal choice. :)