Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Great Horn Spoon

So I have been on a little break... life has been it's usual chaotic self! But I have lots of catching up to do, so lets get going!

Have I mentioned that we go to a GREAT school??? I am sure I have, I LOVE LOVE LOVE our school and all of the extra stuff that we do with our students. This week has had TONS of extras going on. I am going to break this into a few posts because 1) if I had been blogging daily they would have been broken up that way :) and 2) you might (ha, who am I kidding, would) get bored and stop reading, so you might (would) miss something great.

Monday we started off our crazy busy week with the Great Horn Spoon. The fourth grade Social Science class (at our school they pod teach, so both 4th grade classes, plus the mainstreamed SDC kids all come together in one big class for Social Science and Science) was reading Great Horn Spoon and the teachers decided to make it into a musical! So the whole fourth grade worked very hard on this and made a great musical play. I think this is awesome because the kids are way more likely to remember the book that they made into a musical than they are just some book that the teacher read to them! Also HUGE kudos to Mr B and Ms C for taking the time and energy to create something like this!

On Monday night our family went to watch Nathaniel and his class mates. I thought it was very well done and all of the kids did a great job. But I was also a bit sad, because I was THAT MOM. You know, the one with a kid up on stage that was totally goofing off and in another world. Parts of the play Nat did great, was singing right along with his classmates and totally on it. But then there were other parts that he was dancing around and totally goofing off on stage in his own world. Don't get me wrong, I know that I do have a SDC kid, and he has issues. But still, sometimes I am not sure whether to laugh or cry! I was at least glad that this year he was excited to be doing this and into being on stage, unlike the past two years where he was consumed with this unreasonable stage fright! I was glad to see that we were past that part! And he did have a speaking line all by himself that he did great on too :) So we are improving!

Anyways, the post below this is a clip of the kids singing a song from this great play/musical! I hope you enjoy it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man! Katie and I would have loved to see that musical! She read that book for her California History class at school and loved it! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!